Tuesday 6 December 2011

Author Interview: Keith Weaver

Today I have Keith Weaver, author of The Nefarious: Prince of shadow, and Nebulous.

Tell us a bit about yourself.
Thanks Leona.  My name is Keith, and obviously I like to read and write.  What most people probably don’t know about me, though, is that I love lots of things in life.  I’m a big sports fan, and play a lot of basketball and do MMA when I can to stay in shape.  I also love music and movies.  I often listen to music to unwind or even when I write.  I’m a big 80’s fan, and would love to give a shout out to one of my favorites, Deon Estus.
 
What inspired you to first start writing?

I loved books and reading growing up, it was one of my favorite things to do when not running around with friends or playing sports.  In college I started taking literature courses and fell in love with putting my own thoughts and ideas down on paper.  Becoming an author wasn’t really the plan at the time, but it gravitated to that.
 
Have you always wanted to be a writer?

At first probably not.  I liked the idea of writing just for me.  I’ve always found it fun to take odd things that I remember from a dream I had and put them down in a short story format.  Then I decided, why not write novels and really bring my ideas to life!
 
What do you do when you're not writing?

I spend a lot of time with my family; my wife and two boys.  They keep me busy.  I also spend time doing the other things I’ve mentioned.  I enjoy staying up late and thinking of ideas, or watching cheesy movies.
 
What is your favorite thing about writing?

There are absolutely no limits when it comes to writing.  That’s the beauty of it, it’s your world and your creation, do whatever you want to with it and have fun.  It’s also very therapeutic to write, a great way to reduce stress and escape from real life.
 
What is your least favorite thing about writing?

The editing and time it takes.  If you really want to put out a quality book, you have to do your due diligence.  It takes time, edits and several drafts to get the story the way you really want it to be.  In the end, though, it’s worth the trip!
 
Have you ever suffered from writers block? If so do you have any advice for getting past it?

I haven’t suffered a major block yet, but I have had the occasional fork in the road so to speak when it comes to a point in the story.  Best advice, just walk away for a bit and find your place of solitude to clear your mind.  For example, as I’ve mentioned, I like to escape away with some good music and just drift off into the songs.
 
How did you choose the genre you write in?

They kind of chose me actually.  I was really into fantasy and sci-fi as a kid.  My favorite stories that I still love today were The Phantom Tollbooth and Alice In Wonderland.  When I was old enough, I moved towards horror and thriller.  I am willing to dabble in all these genres, I want to be diverse, like a Simon R. Green.  I don’t want to settle on one genre, just go with the idea I have at the moment, but these are my comfort zones.
 
Do you have a favorite genre?

I would say fantasy if I had to pick one, but horror would be a close second.  That would probably be because of my two favorite stories as a kid that I have mentioned.  I love to read and write horror as well, but when it comes to horror I like the visual stimulation of a good movie.  You can’t beat the detail and picture that a book paints that a movie can’t, though.
 
Are you working on anything at the minute?

I am taking a short break for the holidays, and working on some upcoming promotions.  I just released my second book, Nebulous, last month.  It’s a young adult fantasy story that I hope people of that genre will enjoy.  It was inspired by my boys.  It’s the journey of a young boy in a magical land, on a quest to save his brother from an evil Queen.  Along the way he meets some wondrous creatures, but has to face many obstacles such as monsters, spirits and his own fears.  I am in the beginning stages of planning a sequel, Return to Nebulous that I will start working on soon and be out next year.
 
If you could go back in time and change anything about your books what would it be and why?

I don’t think I would go back and change anything.  Instead, I think I am more of a live and learn kind of guy.  My books are my work, good or bad.  I wouldn’t change a thing about them, but there are always things about past works that you can learn from going forward.
 
Where can we find out more about your books?

Please visit my website – www.aboutkeithweaver.com
I have information about both of my books, including links to all sites where they are available; both eBook and Paperback.  I also have a social media page where I put links to promotions and events, as well as my blog.
 
Finally is there anything you want to add?

Besides my website,  please like my author page on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keith-Weaver-Author-Fan-Page/271021416261226

I post all my updates that are on my website here as well.  Please also follow me on Twitter - @drmweave2501.  I always tweet out updates as well.  I always follow everyone back, and love to converse and talk about anything on Twitter, not just books.

Finally, thank you Leona for allowing me to interview on your site.  The please has been all mine!

1 comment:

  1. Great to get to know more about you, Keith. Enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete

Now you've read my thoughts, what are your?