Saturday 24 December 2011

Author Interview: Kate Fuentes

This was meant to be posted earlier but my laptop broke.
Today I have Kate Fuentes author of Elements.

Hi there, please introduce yourself.
  My name is Kate Fuentes, author of the YA fantasy series ELEMENTS. I love spending time with my family, enjoying the outdoors, I adore shopping for shoes, I like sappy love stories, watching movies and I have a bit of a competitive streak!

When did you first realise that you wanted to write books?

I have always dabbled with literary story telling and often created short stories as a child. I was lucky enough to have been encouraged to use my imagination as much as possible and did so through writing, when I was not outdoors building forts and galavanting with imaginary friends. The first story I can remember writing was in second grade for a Halloween project about a scared ghost. I think my mother still has the project safely tucked away in her hope chest.

What inspired you to write your first book?

I am extremely proud to say my children are the reason I wrote my first novel. My eldest son had asked me to create a story for us to read at night before they went to sleep. My intention was to write a short story, but I let my imagination take over, as I often do, and 50,000 words later I had a novel. I wanted to demonstrate to my children to follow through with your aspirations, no matter how old or young someone might be, it's never too late to follow your dream.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing a book?

Currently, my biggest challenge in writing a book is TIME. I normally write after 10pm until about 2am on weekdays and maybe get a few more hours on the weekends. I have two children who are full time students along with their extra curricular sports activities, not to mention the normal happenings of everyday family life plus the added bonus of working a full time job during the week. I'm so glad I have a naturally high energy level, can you imagine if I actually drank coffee? That might be a bit too scary for my family to tolerate!

Is there any new authors that have caught your attention? If so, why?

 I have met several authors through my social media connections, and have had the pleasure of reading some of their work.  Currently, my favorite new author is Raine Thomas, creator of the Daughters of Saraqael series. I enjoyed reading her books and I am looking forward to the follow up series coming in 2012.

How did you come up with the title for your book?

 ELEMENTS was a given for the title of my books because of my characters extraordinary elemental abilities of fire and water. I like books that have a main title followed by a subtitle. It makes it easier for the reader to track down the installments in a series. I'm all about comfort and ease!

Who is your favourite author and what really strikes you about there work?

 I don't have 'one' favorite author, but a lot of authors whose work I appreciate for different reasons. I am not one to stick to a specific genre. I like to bounce around depending on the mood I'm in. I do the same thing with music...depends on my mood. I like to read works by Cassandra Clare, Diana Gabaldon, Nicholas Sparks, Nora Roberts, Suzanne Collins, Stephenie Meyers as well as classics from Austen, Dumas, and anything Greek Mythology. I also enjoy reading poetry, but fiction is close to my heart and young adult is my passion!

What books have influenced you most?

Growing up in a household where your older sister is a bookworm had a huge influence on me. She is the one who introduced me to Greek Mythology and I was hooked right away. I was heavily involved in sports, but always found time to read Mythology. Eventually I gravitated to young adult and really never strayed too far from it, even though I have obviously expired the young adult age limit, if one exists.

What are you reading now?

I am currently reading the River of Time series by Lisa T Bergren. I'm on the last book, Torrent. I've really enjoyed the stories so far.

How long does it take you to write your book?

It seems to vary, but my first book took eight months to write. I wasn't planning on publishing, so it was put on the back burner quite often. The second book was written in two months. If I didn't have a full time job I think I would be able to construct a solid novel in two weeks time. I like to research thoroughly and tend to add tid-bits to each chapter after I have already passed them. It's a really bad habit, but it works for me. I will be starting my third book during the Christmas break and hope to get a great portion done. Wish me luck!

Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

My only advice for aspiring writers is to always follow your heart and have faith in yourself, even if it feels as if no one else is on your side. Being a writer can be a lonely business and a tough market to break in to. Perseverance is the key! If you are determined to become an author, stick to your path and follow it regardless of the bumps in the road trying to detour you. Everyone has the right to be heard!

Finally, where can we find out more about you and your books?

 It's not uncommon for me to stay up late browsing my Twitter feed, Facebook page, blogging, or writing another installment to my series. I am generally available to chat with friends or fans and love meeting new people in the literary world. You can learn more about my ELEMENTS series at the following places.

http://www.katefuentes.com/
http://twitter.com/fuentes_kate1
http://www.facebook.com/elements.series
http://siredscribblings.blogspot.com/
A huge Thank You to Leona for taking the time to ask a few questions and a chance for people to get to know what makes me tick! My sincerest appreciation and gratitude goes out to you and all those who will read this interview! Best Wishes, Kate.

2 comments:

  1. Great interview, Kate! I appreciate the shoutout for the Daughters of Saraqael trilogy. I'm not surprised that our reading tastes and interest in mythology so closely mirror each other. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, ladies!!! Loved this! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

Now you've read my thoughts, what are your?