Saturday 16 June 2012

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi - Megan

Synopsis from Goodreads
Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


Someone fetch me a dictionary because I'm at a loss for words! The idea behind this book was carefully thought out and perfectly executed. Tahereh Mafi has such a refreshing and unique style of writing which she uses to paint Juliette's world in a wonderfully realistic manner. I breezed through this book within a few non-consecutive hours but the interesting thing is, it felt more like daydreaming, like I was watching a film or witnessing the action for myself - it was just that good! Mafi also uses very literary phrases - which some readers may find difficult to understand - that splash vibrant shades of colour onto the canvas and as I did in my last review, I'm going to include quotes because Tahereh Mafi's words are pure poetry.

 "I can't remember the warmth of any kind of embrace. My arms ache from the inescapable ice of isolation."

The use of strike-through had me intrigued beforehand, although I was a bit skeptical at first about what effect it would have on the plot but I found that it greatly contributed to the potrayal of Juliette's thoughts and emotions. The detail used in the descriptions were oozing with originality. It's simply captivating.

"I only know now that the scientists are wrong. The world is flat. I know because I was tossed right off the edge and I've been trying to hold on for 17 years. I've been trying to climb back up for 17 years but it's nearly impossible to beat gravity when no one is willing to give you a hand. When no one wants to risk touching you."

Juliette is my favourite female protagonist in YA. There was a strong sense of realism in her character that made me become emotionally attached to her - which is an uncommon thing for me. She is a complex character whose personality I absolutely adore! From her vulnerability to her bravery, from her kind-heartedness to her fierceness. There's nothing I could fault about her. I enjoyed watching her transition from "scared, lonely teen" to "brave, determined woman".

adam. Adam. ADAM! I think this is the correct time to mention that I am in love with him. Why couldn't all boys be as perfect as him? And yes, that's what he is - pure and utter perfection. He's so sweet and gentle it hurts. His loyalty to his younger brother is so heartwarming and his eyes are so blue you could swim in them. He's strong-willed, protective, a bit aggressive at times but all the pieces fit together perfectly and I wouldn't change a single thing about him.

“Raindrops are my only reminder that clouds have a heartbeat. That I have one, too.”
 
Warner, on the otherhand, is deliciously evil. I didn't like him towards the beginning of the book because he was such an unappealing character but as the plot progressed I started to become more and more drawn to him. I found him to be a mysterious character and watching his soft side gradually appear was interesting. Plus, the fact that he has green eyes just totally sealed the deal for me because I am a sucker for guys with green eyes! (And now I'm impatiently waiting for DESTROY ME to be released because it's written from Warner's point of view *silently fangirling to myself*)

"My words wear no parachutes as they fall out of my mouth."

Adam and Juliette's relationship was so delightfully real that I actually got a bit emotional at times. There was an aspect of insta-love in their introduction but I was able to forgive it considering they both actually liked each other for years beforehand. Their love was sincere and genuine and I loved watching it develop. They had their ups and downs - like all relationships - and I was touched by their dedication to each other. It's safe to say that I am forever jealous of this fairytale romance.

“I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe.” 

I don't give out 5-star ratings too often but this book definitely deserves it. The poetic writing; the strong characters; and the diverting plot had me completely engaged from start to finish. It was carefully structured with various small twists that had me glued to the pages. Nothing I will ever say can fully express my love for this book and since nobody got me my dictionary (shame on yous!) the only thing I can tell you is go read this book. Like, now. Right now. Go.


Rating: 5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you've read my thoughts, what are your?