Wednesday 6 June 2012

Review: Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday


Hartley Grace Featherstone is having a very bad day. First she finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her with the president of the Herbert Hoover High School Chastity Club. Then he’s pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And if that weren’t enough, now he’s depending on Hartley to clear his name. 

But as much as Hartley wouldn’t mind seeing him squirm, she knows he’s innocent, and she’s the only one who can help him. Along with her best friend, Sam, and the school’s resident Bad Boy, Chase, Hartley starts investigating on her own. But as the dead bodies begin to pile up, the mystery deepens, the suspects multiply, and Hartley begins to fear that she may be the killer’s next victim.

The cover of this book is what originally caught my eyes. It's the eyes, there so.....WOW!

The blurb for the book had me intrigued but I felt like it didn't live up to my expectations. I did like, but not as much as I thought I would. 

On the day that Hartley hears rumours that her boyfriend has been cheating on her, she finds an empty condom wrapper in his locker. On top of that she finds the girl that he's been cheating on her with in his wardrobe. 
Dead. 
And what's worse is that her boyfriend, sorry ex-boyfriend, is accused of the murder.
And so begins Hartley's 'investigation' into who killed her. 

Hartley is one determined girl. I must say that if a guy cheated on me I would not be big on helping him. But that just shows how nice Hartley is. Trust me she will not be forgetting that he cheated on her, everyone reminds her of it! Hartley is a rather sarcastic character. One of my favourite quotes in the book is:
"I immediately opened my window, checking outside to make sure Josh had a clear path. The last thing I wanted was for him to get hurt on his way to me killing him"
Oh, and this one:
I stared at a spot of lint on my comforter, blinking back a piece of dust in my eye. (Yes, dust. It was not tears. I had allergies. Probably from having hidden under Chace's bed. No way were they tears, and no way did they mean I had any feelings whatsoever for Josh.)
There a lot of funny quotes that I could mention but then you would all get bored so I won't bother!

Josh, Hartley's ex-boyfriend, is a (I literally cannot think of a word to describe him that isn't rude.) His reasons for cheating on her are typical of boys today. He started to redeem himself further on in the book, only slightly though.

Chase has to be my favourite character in the book. He's a 'Bad Boy' with a softer side. All I can say is swoon! 



Sam was a nice character. She supported Hartley throughout the book and on several occasions Hartley rang her and Sam listened to every word, just like a best friend should.

This book had a very modern feel with several mentions to films and t.v shows. At first it did slightly annoy me but I think that it helped to visualize the content of the book more clearly. 

The main reason that I shall be reading the second book is to find out if two certain people get together!


4 comments:

  1. Great review, Leona! I should have my review of Deadly Cool up this week. I haven't started reading it yet, so I don't know for sure what day.

    Thanks for visiting and following! Followed you back! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Be sure to send me a link! :D

      Delete
  2. This book sounds great!! When I read it I'll just pretend that I'm Hartley since that's my surname ^^ haha

    http://whats--hot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty good book! Haha! Hartley is a cool name and surname! Thanks for stoping by!:)

      Delete

Now you've read my thoughts, what are your?