Monday 3 February 2014

Review: Vengeance by Megan Miranda

Summary from Goodreads:
Nobody really believes in a curse. Until you know the people who disappear. Too much coincidence, you look for reason. Too much death, you grasp for something to blame. Carson pulled Delaney out and he died on the side of the road with her mouth pressed to his. Her air in his body. Troy. She told the cops it was suicide. Didn't matter. The lake released her and grabbed another. But when Decker's father dies in a pool of spilled water on their kitchen floor, all Decker can feel is a slow burning rage. Because he knows that Delaney knew that his dad was going to die. She knew and backed out of his house and never said a word. Falcon Lake still has a hold on them both, and Decker can't forgive Delaney until he knows why.


So it would appear that Megan Miranda has written another book that has left me completely gob smacked. What can I say about vengeance that I haven't already said about her other books? 

Vengeance is a sequel to Miranda's debut novel, Fracture, except this time the book is told from Decker's point of view. Can I get a hell yeah? I mean, who didn't just adore Decker in Fracture? Decker became a harder character for a good portion of this book and I think it was important that he did. He reacted in a normal, human way to a difficult situation and it made me love him more. Miranda's wonderful writing style effortlessly kept me engrossed through Decker's development and his challenges.

Decker's and Delaney's relationship is different from that of the end of Fracture. In many respects we are seeing the relationship that they had throughout fracture. Delaney is the same girl that we know and love. However, while I adore her we are seeing her through Decker's eyes and they aren't seeing her too favorably at the present time. Once again, the writers powerful writing is brought in to play here.

I honestly can't begin to praise Megan Miranda enough. I feel as though all of my words will fall short. The writing was wonderful and engaging and entertaining. The characters were real, you lived them, you hated then but you wanted them to be happy because they aren't bad people. They are good people that bad things have happened to. The entire book was eerie and creepy and wonderful. It was everything I hoped it would be and more. Much more. I will admit that I never hold out too much hope for sequels but, given Megan Miranda's wonderful writing style, I had my hope unconventionally high. And guess what? They were surpassed even more than I could hope for.

I realise now that this has been more of a gush fest than a review. Ah well. Go read it. Now.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you've read my thoughts, what are your?