Thursday 12 July 2012

Review: The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff - Leona


Summary from Goodreads:
Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, Mackie comes from a world of tunnels and black, murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattoed princess. He is a replacement - left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago when it was stolen away by the fey. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood and consecrated ground, Mackie is slowly dying in the human world. Mackie would give anything just to be normal, to live quietly amongst humans, practice his bass guitar and spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem, where he must face down the dark creatures and find his rightful place - in our world, or theirs.

When I read the blurb for this book I was so intrigued. I have never read a book like this before and it was a nice break from the usual vampires, werewolves and witches that are so popular nowadays.

Brenna Yovanoff created a story line that was very unique and slightly strange. Some of the details were hard to grasp and left me slightly confused.

I expected this book to be really eerie but I just was creeped by it. I expected the replacements to be scary but since we reading from the POV of a replacement this idea was lost. It was also nice to read a YA book from a male perspective and I really enjoyed it. 

The book was really about Mackie's journey of self discovery and that kept me reading. I wanted to find out everything about Mackie. Even though we learn a lot about Mackie I just didn't see the reasoning for a lot of the things that he did.

I never bonded with any of the characters within the story. There was something missing for me, I just didn't feel any connection towards any of the characters. It was like watching a film with bad acting and you can't connect with the characters or get a grasp on their feelings.

Having said that the idea for the book was brilliant and I liked it, I just didn't love it. Doesn't mean you won't!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you've read my thoughts, what are your?